Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Civil War Week

   Many of you (ok just a few probably) were wondering why I didn't do my usual Monday note on here?  It was because I've been down the last few days after that disappointing loss to SC.
   It was right there for the Ducks.  In what was supposed to be a 'rebuilding year' for them, here they were with just a few weeks left in the season in the mix for the national championship.
   Whether or not they would've made it is debatable, but no one will ever know now because they lost to a team the should've beaten.  They were a two touchdown favorite for a reason.  Maybe I wouldn't be so down if college football had a playoff system.
   Which brings me to my next point.
   I wouldn't be as down if I felt like the Ducks still had a chance to play for the national championship.  I'm sick of the BCS, and the emphasis placed on the regular season.
   All the people that worry a playoff system would ruin the regular season, look at the NFL.  They have a playoff system, and yet people still tune in every Sunday and Monday.  It's more popular than college football, so there's no reason why D1-A (or FBS if you wanna call it) can't have one.
   But, as Chip Kelly would say, the feel sorry train for me is leaving.  There's still plenty to feel good about.
   The Ducks still have a chance to be the first ever Pac 12 champions.  It would be three conference titles in a row.  They have a chance for a fourth straight 10+ win season, and they could even end with a 12 win season if they win out...including their bowl game, which would probably be the Rose Bowl, making it their third consecutive BCS bowl game.
   But it all starts this Saturday against Oregon state in the 115th edition of the civil war.
   The Ducks lead the all-time series 58-46-10, and have won three straight against the barkrats, including last year's 37-20 win at Reser.  Oregon is also 26-9-1 in the series since 1975.
   I'm not really gonna get into my thoughts for this game cause Oregon should win going away.  For me, this has probably been one of the least anticipated civil war games in a while.  The rats are horrible this year, and there's nothing on the line for them, so there's really no point in me wasting energy on them.
   Look I hate osu more than anybody, I could write a whole note on that, but kicking their ass when bowl positioning and conference championships are on the line, means more than when kicking their ass when they're having one of their worst year's in a while.
   Going way off topic here, but obviously Thanksgiving is coming up, which I've always kind of thought was an overrated holiday.  I happened to catch part of The Herd this morning, and Colin was talking about the same exact thing, which I thought was funny.  Glad somebody agree's with me.  The food is overrated, and sometimes just gross.  Green bean casserole?  Gyrating cranberry sauce?  Giblets?  If Thanksgiving food was sooo good, why do we only eat it one time a year?  Some foods taste good but still look nasty: stuffing, pumpkin pie (looks like baby poop), others.
   And Turkey, while I like it, isn't even my favorite protein.  I'd rather load up on pork or chicken or ham.
   And I also don't participate in overeating, so the whole idea of pigging out doesn't apply to me.
   And many people don't even realize how Thanksgiving originated anyway.  Like so many American things, it got passed down from generation to generation, and along the way, the stories of its origins have changed in one form or another. 
   It actually had nothing to do with 'pigging out' and the whole idea that it was a friendly dinner between pilgrims and indians is wrong too.  Do some history and find out.  But it still has a good meaning, which is taking some time out to give thanks...nothing wrong with that.  I'm thankful for a lot of things.  It's just that, canned yams and grandma's green bean casserole is not one of them.
   I hope everybody though has a great Thanksgiving, get your grub on if that's what you do, and keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment