Friday, March 2, 2012

Looking Back on The Miracle In The Desert

I was recently asked by an emailer, what was one game that I've been to that the Ducks won, but I thought they were gonna lose?  The first game that came to mind was "the miracle in the desert," in 2000.


The 10th ranked Ducks traveled to Tempe for a game against Arizona State, with a lot riding on the game.  I hated games like those.  They are always harder to get over if the Ducks lose those.


So when the Ducks went into Tempe with their quest to play in the Rose bowl hanging in the balance, I was pretty nervous.


From the beginning you could tell ASU came to play, and was thinking upset.  The potent attack of the Sun Devils, which featured a future starting NFL TE in Todd Heap, jumped out to a 14 point second quarter lead.


I began pacing and going back to my superstitious beliefs.  Like maybe if I left the room and listened to the game from a different room, the Ducks would play better?  Seemed silly but it worked...for a little while.


The fourth quarter came and quickly got out of hand.  TWICE the Ducks fell behind by 14.  The second of which came on a 59 yard touchdown run by Mike Williams, giving the Sun Devils a 49-35 lead with 5:47 left.


At this point I couldn't watch, I but I remained hopeful.


The next possession for Oregon, Joey Harrington led the Ducks on a 10 play - 83 yard scoring drive, to bring the Ducks within seven at 49-42 with 3:21 left.


After ASU failed to convert on fourth down, Oregon got the ball back and Harrington wasted little time.  He marched the Ducks inside the Sun Devil 10 yard line.


My hope was back!  Or so I thought.


The Ducks were denied on fourth down at the ASU one yard line.  Game over.  All ASU had to do was run the clock out.  


NOT SO FAST!


The first miracle occurred when the Ducks recovered an ASU fumble at the Sun Devil 17 yard line, with 27 seconds remaining.  On the very next play, Harrington hit Oregon TE Justin Peelle (now with the 49ers) to tie the game at 49-49, and sent it into overtime.


After neither team scored in the first OT, Oregon started with the ball and took the lead in the second OT, on a touchdown run by Allen Amundson, making the score 56-49.  


NOW I had to watch - I couldn't miss this epic game that was unfolding!


Arizona State answered on their possession to make the score 56-55.  But instead of kicking the extra point, they faked it and went for two!  They failed!


DUCKS WON!  Just like that the game was over and I could relax.


In the end, the Ducks did not make it to the Rose Bowl that year.  But they still finished with a respectable 10-2 record, were co-champions of the Pac 10, and a Holiday Bowl win over Texas.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. yeah buddy. Love the unis, and old school highlight reel music haha.

      Delete
  2. One of the most epic Duck games...EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember after ASU missed that 2 pointer at the end my friends and I jumped up and down hugging each other yelling and screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article, Chris. I always enjoy your articles and this one may be my favorite. I think most of us Duck fans were on the edge of our seats for that one!

    ReplyDelete